Who are we:
Seeing Machines has developed the world’s most advanced human data-driven technology which enhances transport safety by dramatically reducing fatal accidents every day. We’re on a mission to achieve zero transport fatalities.
With at least 1 million cars on the road using our state-of-the-art operator monitoring technology developed by the passionate team at Seeing Machines, we provide real-time protection from distraction and drowsiness-related driving events. Seeing Machines works with many of the world’s leading brands (including General Motors, Mercedes Benz, Qantas, Caterpillar, Toll) across the transport sectors automotive, commercial road transport (Fleet), and aviation.
Location: Canberra, ACT
Employment Term: Full Time, Permanent
Reporting To: Staff Team Leader - Optics
The Optical Engineer shall work within the Optics team alongside a team of passionate and diverse engineers, to investigate advanced research frontiers in the domain of physical optic, and guide our customers on the optical design along the different project phases. Joining our shared passion to achieve zero transport fatalities globally, if this sounds a bit like you, read ahead & APPLY!
Key role responsibilities:
- Design, simulation and characterization of optical systems.
- Design and performance of experiments to investigate new research concepts.
- Research new solutions for characterization of image quality to define the minimum performance required of each product the company has to offer.
- Management of relationships with key suppliers, including sample acquisition, scoping of project partnerships, price negotiation, and ensuring that no breach of any relevant NDA can occur.
- Delivering presentations to groups within the company to facilitate knowledge transfer.
- We encourage female engineers to also apply and be part of our diverse and inclusive team of Optics.
Knowledge, Skills & Experience we are looking for:
- At least a Bachelor, or Masters degree in Optics (photonic or imaging)
- Optical application experience in Photonic or Imaging is a must.
- Electronic skills to exchange and if necessary, create required hardware.
Programming skills to create tools and improve efficiency.
- Need to be able to work as a team member to move projects forward as a group.
- Ability to learn from other people is as important as the skills to teach the other people in the company.
Why Seeing Machines
- Being part of something meaningful - We are inventive, innovative and collaborative and are making a real difference to safety on roads, all around the world
- Work flexibly – we encourage our people to manage their work and personal lives to achieve a balanced outcome
- Diversely Strong - We are global, Seeing Machines serves a growing market in the UK, Europe, Africa, North America, Latin America, and Asia Pacific
- We are focused on employee support and understand the importance of our collective wellbeing. You will have access to our Employee Assistance Program any time you require it
- We reward and recognise achievement. You will have access to our global benefits and reward platform.
For more information, visit: http://www.seeingmachines.com
*For Aus roles –
Seeing Machines Acknowledges Traditional Owners of Country throughout Australia and recognizes the continuing connection to lands, waters and communities. We pay our respect to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, and to Elders past, present and emerging.